Prototype Direction

Once I was happy with the enemy movement, I then added an aggro range so if the player steps within that range the enemies would swap from idle to ‘chase’ – consisting of enemies walking towards the player until they are in range to shoot. Additionally, the player will be able to shoot the enemies and once their health drops to zero they will be destroyed.

With the features I had implemented to the enemy and player, I then began to create a simple map. The obstacles within the map started as cubes as seen below, and later on, I swapped these blocks out to be trees and rocks.

Believing that my original map was too simplistic, I wanted to change the map to be a maze system, that the player would have to traverse to obtain keys so that they can escape, while dealing with the zombies that lurked within the maze.

The issue I had with this was I couldn’t find a way for the game to be scary when the zombies slowly walked up to you and shot you once they’re within range. Instead, I took the route of removing the weapon from the zombies, providing now a different variety of zombies; some being faster, but easier to kill and some being slow, but dealing more damage to the player.

Whilst I was creating the new map, I also implemented ammo, health, and key pickups, however, only the ammo and health had particle effects as I wanted the keys to be hidden and hard to find.


Finally, once the pickups were added to the game, I had completed my prototype.

 


 

Comments

Popular Posts